The Guru

"If you want to know what Indian are thinking or craving for, see the box office hits of Bollywood".
-Unknown (aka me)

I have been for sometime looking for a "Guru" for myself. A person who can direct the energy I think have to whatever best use I can put it to. I need some beads of advice for me to "succeed" in life. My search for the perfect one still continues.

For now however, Bollywood is the best substitute I have got in face of inexperience of those who I believe in and my distrust of those who think they can advise me. Rang de's belief in action, Guru's belief in thinking big and having the heart for it. They send out the message strong and clear. They have a profit motive but so do the consultants who apparently bring huge efficiency gains for businesses. They manipulate my thoughts and my feelings, but also give a hope that I might succeed despite all odds. They try to make a required rebel out of me as I have been too entrenched to follow the rules. As a middle class average person, I am convinced that I am helpless and can make a change or prove myself only if I do something drastic. "India poised" says more directly today is the time for India and Indians. Watching these flicks, my harmone levels are doubled thinking about the success that could be mine.

I may be an emotional fool thinking all the stuff above (sometimes I seriously think that I am one). But bottom line, bollywood remains the best substitute I can get as a 'Guru'. There is only one small issue.

Three punters (fools) back in the good old days of hostel used to talk of life - one 6km runner, one aspiring marathoner and me (no where related to sports). One fine day we started discussing about running and the bhaat (talk) drifted to what is better between 100m and marathon. I supported 100m arguing it gave fame and is run on will power which is the quality of winner. I was almost about to win the argument when I lost with a simple yet deep statement - you win 100m by defeating your competitors but you win marathon by winning with your efforts (think about it, it is simple to understand). Anyone with a healthy body can win 100m any day given the bad performance and state of the competitors but you cannot do the same with a marathon.

What the heck is the connection between the above two? Well, I think there is. An inspiring flick is a story of marathon winner packaged as a 100m win. What lingers behind is the 10 second winning message, what is lost are the details of minute by minute struggle.

I completely agree with the statement - do what it takes till you touch the sky ... but do remember the preparation, time, patience and struggle required!!!

(Disclaimer:- This blog is a kind of self-explanation to an emotional fool that is me)

Comments

Anonymous said…
very true sma..
though i feel you can have a lot of real life heroes than look for a 'Guru' in reel life.. world is full of people who can inspire you.. just need to keep your eyes and ears open:) heard about a blind person who graduated from ASU and joined MS to become one of the best programmers in MS(you should know his story better:) what can be more inspiring than his struggle?? there are n no of such stories in and around us.. yes ofcourse u and me cant see or feel his struggle.. like you would in a movie... they give us a crash course..:D
Prakhar said…
Well u hv struck the correct note once again...m goin thru the phase where the last line is best suited for me...patience, preparation nd time is wat it will take to reach the sky!!

I hav one query though....y dun ppl remember the marathon runner's name...but they all remember and adore 100 m world recod holder??

(
coz marathon runner keep running all the time??
OR
our marathon runners r not very hatte katte????
}
The Cynic said…
very interesting post ... u are becoming better as the day progresses ... saala mast english mein likh raha hain :)
Shashank Mohan said…
@HB: You got the point. Cinema provides the visualization of inspiration not possible by just reading .. and moreover the real life stories around us are too entangled with the struggles to appreciate their success.

@Prakhar: I cannot answer for sure but can give an analogy .. it is the similar difference as for one-day vs test cricket stars (although they now do happen to coincide)

@Cynic: thanks buddy.
Anonymous said…
i guess i know when and where the discussion between three fools took place.....

Mishra!

Popular posts from this blog

ING New York City Marathon - Who Won?

My Trip To Uttaranchal - Day 1

My blood group is AB – Who I am?