My blood group is AB – Who I am?

Browsing through the newspaper, I found an interesting article stating that folks in Japan and Korea believe that there exists a high correlation between blood group and human qualities. For example, people of O type are leaders, A type are strict disciplinarians. First question which stuck me (it maybe due to my limited knowledge in biology) – If there are only four blood groups as I know, is it really possible? But this question was not the culprit. What irritated and frustrated me was the fact that even after reading the fine prints, I couldn’t find the qualities associated with AB type (btw, I hope now you know my blood group). But after this storm, the calm left a BIG question mark. Why was even I searching for it? And though I admit I am a confused person in the world of self-confessed know-alls, never did a single thought created 2 opposite trains of thought.

First Train: Do you believe you are unique? I always take pride when people call me different. And yet, here I was searching for the common qualities that people believe I have due to some external factor. I don’t know about you, but I do get biased by such classifications and they affect my thinking and personality. A quick example. I am a ‘baniya’ by caste and anybody who knows about Indian caste system knows that baniyas are supposedly stingy. Looking at my spending habits, you would swear I am not. Yet people have reminded me of it so many times, that I feel guilt conscience after spending (though I still keep on spending). Take it to the bigger picture. It is quite possible that people who have grown up with a particular classification reinforced on them time and again would behave in a particular way. It is equally likely that another sect would oppose them vehemently for a similar reason (sounds like ‘manufacturing consent’, right?). Who is wrong? Depends on which side you are. But one thing is sure – I hated such classifications and did not want to be a part of any classification.

Second Train: A deeper look into me. I am an atheist in religious India, I like living on credit when people like to save, I want to live in a far flung independent house (preferably hut) when folks are buying amazing apartments, I love to bunk office when colleagues are competing fiercely [for good] (I hope if my manager reads this he understands its just a literary piece). And yet, somewhere in my mind (or heart), I want to be like ‘normal’ people around me. It is immense satisfaction when appreciated on standard scales. Moving out of myself. People were orthodox; they fought hard to become liberal. Now when they have become so liberal, they want to identify themselves with something. They wanted to experiment with relationships, now they want stable partners (or worse, for some no partners). Some long subdued and new classifications (either ideological or physical) are being endorsed with full zeal and unfortunately or fortunately consciously. See Paris burning, Nepal fuming, Oil burning, blood groups classifying. Good or bad? Don’t know, but again one thing is sure – I want to be a part of some classification (how about a caste called mavericks).

Did you understand the difference between the two trains? And if different, which one to choose? I am still trying to find the answer for both. All I need you to say “Best of luck…dude”.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
interesting read. torn between trying to confrom and rebel, arent we all of the same breed. To find the thing that makes us unique. but are we unique arent we like our parents. somehow i feel, that in tryingto be different, ppl go thru the same trials and tribulations that their parents went thru only in a different scope (generation). Being a woman, ppl tell me that my major contribution to humanity will be procreation. I say bollocks to it, but can any one of us makea difference. Completely emphathise with ur need to find urself classified, may it be with blood group/star signs and sun signs. everything is so relative. why cant we be like ants , their lives seem so full of purpose, " search for food and bring to nest" . I guess is what is thr purpose to ur life, what is that you will do to make ur mark - is it the friendships/relationships you have?? when will this endless search for happiness/purpose/perfection end??
Shashank Mohan said…
thanks for the above comment ... looks like a person who has really thought about the purpose of life .. maybe we can talk over
Anonymous said…
were u being sarcastic !!!! :-))
Anonymous said…
on a different note, i dont see a point agonising about things in genreal, the more you analyse the more u screw it up, just take it as it comes. but i wish it was just that easy. must say of course that I like reading your blog, ur uttar-anchal trip logue and the pics were very nice. hope you find more exotic destinations to visit on a shoestring.
Shashank Mohan said…
I was not being sarcastic :) .. i am sarcastic only about events... I disagree with you because analyzing doesn't agonize rather helps to understand better both urself and the world .. thats my humble aim.

I have a side note too .. was it by chance that u knew i replied to ur comment or there is a way to keep informed about the activity on other blogs
Anonymous said…
frigging creepy isnt it !!! nah i wasnt tryingto be creepy nor am i naturally one, I just come to ur blog to check if youve written something interesting, and just noticed that comment count on this one had increased, and btw im sure someone somewhere has found out a way to notify themselves of activity on other ppls blog :-))
read ur new blog, completely unaware that there was a santitation ministry of sorts. again aapologise for alleged creepy behaviour. happy blogging
Shashank Mohan said…
hehehe ... it gave me shudders at first .. "blog" hack :) .. but yeah, i wanted this feature to know if the blog owner replied to my comments .. probably will have to find out ..

well, its not a ministry of sanitary but of rural development which takes care of such issues ... its just a myriad of areas in which govt operates .. and i hope to understand them
Anonymous said…
That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

Popular posts from this blog

ING New York City Marathon - Who Won?

My Trip To Uttaranchal - Day 1