ING New York City Marathon - Who Won?

26.2 !!! This figure does not ring bells in most ears. Yet, for long distance runners this number in miles is pride. Whether it is amateurs aspiring to complete their first one or professionals fighting over the last minute, marathon events are occasions when dreams become reality.

And one such event is The ING New York City Marathon. Here today, around 38 thousand people ran to meet their aspiration. In my opinion, it was good day to run - no rain, no wind and good temperature. I was lucky enough to volunteer at the Medal distribution counter. Although I and my friend, as usual late, were at the right time to perform our duties. As we got ready, we received the first of the disabled category marathoners. They were the ones who stole my heart away. I could not just stop my incessant cheering at their achievement despite whatever disability.

Around 12 to 12:30 PM, there was a loud uproar in the crowd. Our winners were arriving. Jelena Prokopcuka (2:25:05) repeated her performance at NYC marathon, winning in women's category second time in row. Marilson Gomes dos Santos, a Brazilian,won his debut NYC marathon in men's category finishing in 2:09:58. Some in the crowd were surprised (including my friend) that Tergat, last year champion, came in third. His timing was 2:10:10. Just a 12 second trail !!!!

For the next hour, we received our under 3 hour category. This is my dream category. Here people mostly belonged to the professional runner clubs around the world especially France and Italy. Some were disappointed with their timing while some others were happy. I kept my role of cheering with claps.

The crowd started to increase. We were approaching the mean of the normal curve of timing. I shifted my responsibility to direct the people to get the medal distributors. There was a surge in smiling faces. The air filled with joy, hugs and emotion. The limp and pain was lost with the sight of medal. My role shifted to distribute the medals and giving hi-five. A girl came along, took the medal and hugged me. She started crying. I couldn't understand in the noise if she said it was her first or the best. The only words I could utter were "well done...congratulations".

As the day progressed. the crowd kept finishing. A guy came over with 2 bibs. He said his friend was taken to the hospital between the race. He asked if he could have a medal for him. I couldn't deny him that. There were a lot of couples running together. One of the volunteers had a good idea. He gave them medal each and asked them to put on one another. The expression on their face cannot be described in words.

By the end of my day, the air around me was all sweaty, with the sweet smell of success. But it became hard for me to answer the question - Who won this marathon? Gomes kissing his best time medal or the couple kissing each other after they finished? In my opinion, everyone who stood behind the start line with the courage to complete this distance !!!

Comments

The Cynic said…
interesting experience i guess .... especially the one with " A girl came along, took the medal and hugged me." :)

so when are u planning to run?
Prakhar said…
Good one yaar!!...nicely description..nd u saved the best line for the last...really nice :)....u wl be runnin next time?
Shashank Mohan said…
thanks guys ...
full - probably next year
half - i have to run on 19 nov :( .. kuch tayaari nahi hai
Anonymous said…
interesting read for sure, but I dont understand the psyche of a person who wants to ,really wants to run 26 miles, isnt that a tad too much. I can understand running around the block or running for 7/8 miles at the most, 26 miles can be very very boring. of course it is an acheivement - a biggish one at that - youve proved to urself that u are fit even to do this and also flaunt it your friends of course :-) or form a buddy group of marathon runners aka serious knee injuries. I just dont get it. I understand and completely agree with the need to be fit, in my opinion, it helps you keep up with ur bad vices and prevents early croaking (death or the myriad of food related illness). and on top of that keeps u alert and on a side note can improve ur physique (a dont care for me, personally). but running 26 miles just takes it all to a diff plane, where i guess lazy individuals ,like me, cant take a peek . well, best of luck for ur half marathon :-)
Shashank Mohan said…
the word is simple ... "passion". Although I won't mind it myself, but i cannot understand why people want to add another zero to their already 6-7 zeros incomes. Similarly, i completely fail to appreciate the modern artist whose are greatly renowned for making a black dot on a white canvas :). Bottomline, you cannot question what people prefer or are passionate .. but once the preferences are given, you can argue on best methods to achieve them aka reduce probability of knee injuries :)...

about flaunting, i would have loved to do so .. but there are so many people around me who are so much better than me ... I cannot do it now :( ... maybe one day when i run ultra marathons .. he he .. and yeah, thanks for the wishes
Anonymous said…
for the life of me , cant imagine anyone being passionate about running :-)) but oh well weirder things are known to happen !!!
Anonymous said…
well written blog... way to go sma:)- priyanka
Anonymous said…
yeh 19th nov wale marathon ka kya hua??
Shashank Mohan said…
@priyanka : I went...I ran...I finished... 2:05:56
Anonymous said…
Loved the last paragraph...G
Shashank Mohan said…
@G : thanks auntie...

Popular posts from this blog

My Trip To Uttaranchal - Day 1

My blood group is AB – Who I am?