Reservations in India - A Root Cause Analysis

I oppose reservation. But as always, I am not doing anything about it. Why? Simple reason - Apathy. I have got what I needed in terms of education from this country and the education of my 'children' is a long way to go. The dynamics might change (hopefully) and hence, I am not concerned right now.
Another reason is Economics (I love Eco). Law of economics says that if there are economic profits in any area, more people would try to enter the area till the profits become zero. I am busy minting money (in the same country) and trying to enjoy the development (whatever) the politicians and diplomats are trying to achieve without any costs!!! There is ample scope of competitors and there are already a lot who have joined the bandwagon. What are you waiting for?
Did I say costs? What can be possibly the cost of living in a country you were born in? I pay tax (man its cut at source, otherwise it would have been more profit) ... thats it!!! Rest the govt should take care ... if I am providing the money (or even not)... Rest should be managed by the government like any efficient services company. But wait a minute, who appoints the government? I am smart and have cut costs here too - the pain to go and vote once in 1-2 years (in the worst case) and delegated it to my fellow citizens who I believe are least productive - the 'backward' class of the society.
Seems like a good setup, right? But the plan does go haywire sometimes. Since politics runs on votes, sometimes politicians ignore my demands (which they should implicitly know). But whenever this happens, I do cry foul (read agitations mostly within the comforts of my room) but nevertheless overall, the plan works for me. Does it for you???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes dude, this plan works for most of us. & the few of us who do more than that might also have completely different reasons - which needs another root cause analysis.
-Satvik
Amateur Blogger said…
Good one! Sarcasm noted, but I love the idea of the country being run as a services company. Interesting model.
Anonymous said…
Satwik....your agreement is only with Sma's sarcasm....i know you have some patriotism in you..the plan not only works, but its perfect...there can be no other plan - its a unique solution whose nature keeps on changing as the variables change...government is just like another institution....every atom interacts with it for its benefit - reasons may be any...and this applies to any institution, even family...when u dont like something about the institution, you go on hunger strike!!! - even a child does that to his parents.
the situation is compounded by the fight between invidualism and collectivism in our cerebral zone because we have to deal with fuzzy variables associated with human condition - like ethics, conscience, etc - since, at the end of the day we are not as definite as atoms in our thoughts/conduct.
Anonymous said…
"But as always"...but your previous post says you never do anything "always"...???????
Anonymous said…
mishra says!!

interesting model........ but a bit more complex than normal eco fundamentals because...

in the economic market.... there are sellers and buyers... and buyers pay the price

but here it is not quite so
1. sellers (politicians are selling reservations)
2. buyers (the ones who buy the idea of reservation and vote for the politicians)
3. price payers (people like you and me who dont want to pay for it).

so here the price is paid by those who dont want to buy the commodity... and they are not the buyers.

May be an interesting research area.....
NJ said…
would like to know whether you are against reservation principle or its current mode of application in India...

Popular posts from this blog

ING New York City Marathon - Who Won?

My Trip To Uttaranchal - Day 1

My blood group is AB – Who I am?